According to the dailymail.co.uk, a British woman who had developed a habit of drinking up to 20 cans a day of Red Bull, was rushed to the hospital with severe liver damage.
In 2015, 26-year old Mary Allwood had been drinking Red Bull in excess for four years, when she reportedly developed a terrible pain in her side and called an ambulance to get medical help.
Once at the hospital, an MRI scan showed that Allwood’s liver was twice the size it should be, prompting doctors to ask how much alcohol she normally consumed.
Allwood’s liver was in such bad condition as a result of excess sugar intake, that it was assumed she was an alcoholic.
In addition to liver damage, Allwood’s excessive daily intake of Red Bull, (it was the only liquid she would consume, at the time,) had caused her to gain considerable weight. She had gone from being a size 16 to a size 24.
While Allwood is now back down to normal, and reports indicate that she hasn’t had a drop of Red Bull in 5 months, the journey wasn’t easy.
Allwood says she experienced withdrawal symptoms when she quit cold turkey, as well as mood swings and shakes for about month before finally getting to the point where she no longer craved the caffeine and sugar.
“It was really hard and there were times when I bought one, opened it, but I never drank it,” she said to dailymail.co.uk.
“I tried a drop on my tongue and it tasted like pure sugar. I’ll never go back to how I was now. Now I think the rules should be changed and it should be treated in a similar way to cigarettes, with the blank packaging,” she added.
Red Bull consumption and its effects have been in the news before, leaving many questioning the safety of the popular energy drink.
Some have commented that in Allwood’s case, consuming 20 of anything is probably not a good idea, but others have already raised similar red flags around Red Bull.
Swedish officials investigated the death of three young people after two individuals had mixed Red Bull with alcohol, and a third had consumed several cans of the energy drink after performing a strenuous workout. The first two youths died of unstated causes in an abcnews.com report, while the third individual later died of massive kidney failure.
Red Bull currently boasts a brand value of $7.9 million, with $6.6 billion in sales.