Your child is most likely to accidentally ingest cosmetics, cleaning products and pain relievers when it comes to toxic substances.
It likely won’t come as a surprise, but it’s reassuring to know the majority of children who end up being poisoned in the U.S do so accidentally. Kids are naturally curious. At a certain age, many will put just about anything in their mouth, something many parents can attest to. At other times, they may knowingly grab substances that deceiving. What looks like water can really be rubbing alcohol or something else.
This week marks National Poison Prevention Week, and it’s a good time to review how safe your home is, especially if you have children.
What products should you be most concerned about?
Every family has a different set-up. According to the National Capital Poison Center though, back in 2016 children under the age of 6 were most commonly poisoned by the following:
- Cosmetics and Personal Care Products (Nail primers, mouthwash, etc.)
- Cleaning Substances (Laundry pods!)
- Pain Relievers (Advil, Tylenol, etc.)
- Toys/Miscellaneous (Lego-up-the-nose)
The good news is that at least when it comes to younger children, most cases reported by parents to poison centers are non-toxic, or have a minor effect on the child involved.
Younger children experience accidental poisoning more than other groups, and cases are more serious in teens and adults.
What products are the worst offenders?
Children’s lives are endangered most by being exposed to fumes such as carbon dioxide being emitted from a generator, exposure to pain relievers and unknown/street drugs, and ingesting batteries such as button batteries and cardiovascular drugs.
Poisoning can leave life-long damage to your body and be fatal. If someone you know has been poisoned, contact poison control at 1-800-222-1222.
Photo credits: Africa Studio/Shutterstock.com